Making Stage Two (Stage 2) Baby Food - Green Beans (Steamed)

As Lean as a Green Bean 
Now on to our second légume - the green bean. I'm reverting back to my fhransaize vocabulary. Just kidding, but really. Apparently legumes and vegetables are different foods but in French, the word for vegetable is legume...riddle me that!

Since the massive frozen food recall that has given me nightmares, I purchased my green beans in a cute little bag, fresh, and not organic. I'm sad to report that there was not an organic option at Sprouts....but I must thank them for not using the CRF facility. I steamed these for a little bit longer so that they get extra mushy.


1). Wash the green beans, bring about two cups of water to a boil. You can  chop off the ends/stems of the green beans and steam for about 20 minutes.


2). Cool (and if you're like me, chop off the ends). They look so pretty! Why do they smell like peas to me?

3). Blend (for just a little extra, since the skins are kind of tough)! I added just a splash of water, but they're already pretty watery.

4). Voilà! I pureed what felt like forever, but the green beans were still a bit chunky. I suppose that's why they're a stage 2 food.

Note: A bag of green beans yielded about 24 oz of puree. 

Oh, almost forgot, I haven't posted one of these in a while...

Pup #1 

Pup #2


My pups loved green beans WAY more than Max, that's 'cause we did Doggie-Led Weaning, jk. I found that mixing the green beans with another sweet favorite such as sweet potatoes or squash helped smooth the consistency and probably add a bit of sweetness.


Share this

Related Posts