Sippy Cups, Straw Cups, and Cups aka The Sippy Cup Quandary

This isn't a recipe, but I figured I would share my 'Sippy Cup Quandary'. There are too many options...thanks, capitalism! I apologize, that was totally a #firstworldproblems complaint.

I don't know if any mothers did this, but I spaced the whole 'bottle' thing. When I was pregnant, I thought I would need about 500 bottles (different kinds, too!) and now they're just taking up space in my cupboards. To my defense, I didn't know how breastfeeding would go. I'm a pessimist, I was preparing for the worst...as in there's an apocalypse and my all of my neighborhood ran out of bottles and I needed to supply each and every one of them with three.

Anyway, my LO has very little interest in bottles, unless he's starving. I suppose at some point, I could have let my husband get up for a nightly feeding, but he would look like someone punched him in both eyes in the morning, so we just didn't do bottles. We skipped them. Now we're on to sippy cups, but which to use? The end goal is to have them drink out of a cup, not a quasi nipple thing, right? Well, they make that...thanks capitalism. I'm just going to come out and say it, go with THIS ONE. Although, now that I think about the whole 'not drinking out of a nipple thing', I don't know if adults truly do grow out of that. I mean, just look!

I'm not a reviewer or anything, but I kinda think I should be for this product.
Check out this cup:

NOTE: If the cup is thrown from a highchair, yes, some will spill on impact.

This is not the only cup we use though. We also have our regular sippy cups and a cup with a straw. I read somewhere that it's also important to let your child drink from a cup with a straw for two reasons: 1). there's one less step - no tilting and 2). restaurants! In case they do not have a 'sippy' cup, they will still have a cup with a straw. However, if you're old school, you can just teach your baby to drink out of a regular glass.

My mother-in-law told me that she had taught all of her seven children to drink out of a glass from an early age. We have a couple of relatively 'small' glasses and I fill them up with a bit of water and we practice drinking out of a glass every day. At first my LO would gulp and it would just run down his chin, but after just a couple of days he got the hang of it. So, here are the other cups we use. 
We have been offering a couple ounces of water a day, but I don't think he drinks that much. He drinks a bit here and there. Plus, we live in AZ, so it's really hot and dry. Also, I read that it's best to offer the sippy cup after your LO wakes up from a nap. Lastly, I recently found out that water (in moderation) helps with constipation.


Share this

Related Posts